Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Smekday- Irriatates Me.

     Recently, I've been reading the book The True Meaning of Smekday. Now, in the book, a race of aliens lands on Planet Earth and claims it for themselves, titling it "Smekland" or "Smekla"- I'm not clear on which- " and telling all native U.S citizens that they ALL have to move to Arizona, where land has been set aside for "human reserves." This reminded me of how the settlers came to America and treated the Indians in so many ways that I don't even know where to begin.
     Now, being an American, I was at first really irritated by how the humans were treated. I felt that they had no right- I got really angry at the aliens, to the point where I really just wanted to punch them in the face! But then I realized- coming to a new land, renaming it, and putting it's natives on reservations? I'd heard this story before! I think that this book may be a comparision to how Native American's were treated, made a little easier to relate to by the fact that the author makes modern day humans the victims.
     I think that it's interesting that the author chose to write the book the way they did. Because the way the did, the book reads more like a funny fiction story than a paralell to the atrocities we committed hundreds of years ago. I think that the author may have been trying to do that on purpose, to try to help kids absorb the information. It's easier to get mad at a fiction race called the Boov than to get mad at someone who you know you're related to.

1 comment:

  1. Great response. I think that your inference that the aliens really represent the suffering of the Native Americans is very smart. I like how in your response you really elaborated on how you personally feel about these things in the book rather than just pointing out stuff the writer wants you to feel. Like i said before Great Job!!!. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete