Tuesday, March 6, 2012

.... I left something out today.

In the Book 206 Bones, by Kathy Reichs, the main character, Temperence Brennen, is a forensic anthropologist. In simple, unglorified terms, this means she stares at and identifies bodies that have been so decomposed, burned, or maimed that they are unrecognizable. While in Guatemala uncovering massacre victims, she stumbles upon a case of four missing young women.
     When one of the women are found dead, and two found to have run away with each other, it seems like three of those cases are over. But as the book continues the plotline, it is discovered that lies and inconsistencies in family member's stories have been piling up. Whenever this happens, I can't help but wonder: how could someone possibly think that they could get away with not mentioning something to the police in an investigation this important?
     I've read several books where this has happened, and it frustrates me to the core everytime. And for the life of me, I can't comprehend why someone would do it. If it's a matter of something shameful, like an affair, to me that's no excuse when it could be the difference between finding your daughter alive or never hearing from her again. I can understand shame, but when it morphs into such selfishness, I loose all sympathy and it turns to revulsion.
     Other than wanting to keep a shameful secret, I can't think of a single reason anyone would even have an excuse to not tell the police information. Not thinking that a detail was important is no reason not to mention it if a question was asking about it directly. When I read or hear about people doing this, I am disgusted, because to me, it is the final word in selfishness.

1 comment:

  1. I like your character analysis, and the context. I understand the point you;re trying to make and I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete